The GIS Coordinator for Engineering is responsible for managing all GIS operations for the City of Somerville. Employee is required to perform all similar or related duties.
• Plans, develops and maintains the GIS within the City of Somerville
• Coordinates the use of GIS data and software with other City Departments
• Develops new geographic data sets
• Attend meetings, conferences, workshops and training sessions; review audio-visual materials to remain current on the principles, practices and new developments in the GIS field. Evening meetings may be required for this position.
• Strong knowledge of GIS concepts and familiarity with modern applications including desktop, web, and mobile
• Demonstrated leadership experience including:
o Strong oral and written communication skills including public presentations
o Demonstrated ability to develop innovative approaches to problem solving
o Experience supervising, training and mentoring staff
• Strong hands on GIS software skills, including field data collection methods and data automation techniques, to perform or direct the maintenance of the City’s GIS data infrastructure including parcel, utility, transportation, and thematic data sets
• Familiarity with relevant industry data standards and demonstrated experience implementing such data standards
• Familiarity with the Esri software suite including ArcGIS desktop and ArcGIS Server
• Familiarity with Open Source GIS products including GeoServer, OpenLayers, PostGIS
• Familiarity with municipal business systems and databases including utility billing, tax billing, CAMA, permitting
• Experience writing RFPs, assessing and selecting appropriate vendors, and managing contracts
• Demonstrated cartographic design skills
• Experience conducting GIS software and application training for users from a variety of disciplines and levels of technical expertise
• Strong database management and systems integration skills and experience including SQL Server, PostgreSQL, Microsoft Access
• Demonstrated project management experience in all aspects of the project life-cycle including:
o Gathering needs/requirements
o Identifying project risks
o Developing a project plan
o Implementing a project plan
o Managing the project budget and schedule
o Monitoring progress and reporting status
o Completing deliverables
o Measuring project success
o Documenting lessons learned
o Ability to effectively manage multiple projects simultaneously
Ability to effectively manage multiple projects simultaneously
Bachelor’s degree in Geography/Cartography/GIS/ Civil Engineering/Land Surveying or related field discipline with five (5) years of experience in the GIS field, or related work experience; or any equivalent combination of education, training and experience which provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
Knowledge of GIS and civil engineering principles and practices such as roadway design, sewer design, drainage design; knowledge of roadway, sidewalk, sewer, water and drainage maintenance and repair techniques.
Ability to evaluate existing GIS programs and policies. Ability to develop and build a GIS capable of serving the needs of a City recognized for innovation, efficiency and a data-driven style of management.
Skill in coordinating various programs and projects simultaneously; and an ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
Salary $65,000.00 per year; paid weekly at $1,250.00; plus benefits package.
Send resume along with a cover letter to:
City Hall Personnel Office
93 Highland Avenue
Somerville MA 02143
THE CITY OF SOMERVILLE IS AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER. WOMEN, MINORITIES, VETERANS AND PERSONS WITH DISABILITIES ARE ENCOURAGED TO APPLY. CITY OF SOMERVILLE RESIDENTS ARE ESPECIALLY ENCOURAGED TO APPLY.
The Directions on Google Technology Channel captures a variety of news about Google Map and Earth. It includes content from Directions Magazine, All Points Blog and other sources. Below are some Google stories you might have missed.