The Indianapolis Metropolitan Planning Organization (IMPO) is seeking a technically-oriented professional planner, geographer, or public policy professional for the position of Senior Planner. The Senior Planner will help administer the development of the long range transportation plan and transportation improvement program which are core elements of the MPO’s work program.
Under the direction of the Principal Planner, the person selected for this position will be responsible for these specific activities:
This list of duties and responsibilities is not intended to be all-inclusive and may be expanded to include other duties or responsibilities that management may deem necessary from time to time.
Job Knowledge, Experience, and Skills Required
Bachelor’s degree in planning, engineering, or a related field and a minimum of four (4) years of progressively responsible experience in transportation planning is required. Masters degree may substitute for two years of experience.
Excellent writing and public communications skills required. Public speaking and some evening meetings are required
• Provide GIS and other technology support for the development and implementation of a Congestion Management system as specified under FHWA regulations.
• Provide GIS and other technology support to help implement Long-Range Planning functions into the MiTIP online Program Management system.
• Provide GIS and other technology support to help implement Pavement Management systems and project analysis into the MiTIP online Program Management system.
• Provide GIS and other technological support to the effort to help reconcile the new INDOT ESRI road systems model with the underlying GIS data sets used for MiTIP, functional class definitions, and pavement management systems (PaMS) road inventories.
• Provide GIS and other technological data support for future Performance Measure implementation.
• Assist in the processing and management of data pertinent to the Indianapolis Regional Travel Demand Model, including speed data, traffic counts, and economic and demographic data.
• Provide GIS and data management support for other IndyMPO projects as required.
• Help organize and manage IndyMPO data sets to improve access, understanding, and appropriate use of those data assets. This would include developing spatial data sets (e.g. ESRI geodatabases or Caliper geographic data sets) that increase the effectiveness of data editing and use.
Select Transportation section (1 job)
Following the first official day of summer, many areas in the United States are approaching their highest temperatures for the year. To give you a better idea of the warmest time of year for your area, NCDC has created a new “Warmest Day of the Year” map for the contiguous United States.