Summary: This article covers the MapInfo Professional version 11.5 enhancements that will be released to clients within the next week by Pitney Bowes Software. The objective of this new version was to focus on the user experience. Product managers discussed these improvements at the 2012 Insights Conference in New Orleans.
The MapInfo Professional version 11.5 enhancements that will be released within the next week by Pitney Bowes Software have focused on the user experience. This translates into three areas of functional improvements:
- Enhanced usability by requiring fewer mouse clicks by some of the more common tasks
- Quality of map output
- Continuing to integrate products such as MapInfo Manager and Stratus to give a better experience across the full suite of Pitney Bowes Software solutions
First, there is a new Legend Designer that provides a variable grid onto which a user can compose a new legend layout. As such, the quality of the legend can be improved and done so much quicker.
Second, the browser into which all of the table data is viewed with an associated map has been redesigned such that the user has better control over sorting and filtering the table. There is a drop down list of operators making it unnecessary to write and SQL statement. Each browser window has a toolbar at the top and there are buttons for common operations such as text style. Buttons on the left of the browser window as well as a right click menu controls sorting and filtering. How is this different: The user can filter a browser similar to how you filter a Microsoft Excel spreadsheet and after the user applies a filter, the menus on the browser toolbar provide related options such as "toggle, reapply and select all." and now, sorting a browser does not require opening a new window.
Third, for users who want to manage their spatial data more effectively the integration with MapInfo Manager gives them the ability to view and edit metadata within MapInfo Pro. Whereas in MapInfo Pro 11 users can view the metadata published by MapInfo Manager 1.2 Metadata Viewer, in 11.5 users can have categories of data for better organization.
Lastly, here is a comprehensive list of miscellaneous feature improvements:
- ECW raster handler support
- Support for Microsoft SQL Server 2012
- Dual monitor support
- New datums
- Improved activation (currently, PBS is working to improve backend license server for support for reinstalls, virtual environments; working on it this summer)
- Improved sharing of maps between MapInfo Pro and other Pitney Bowes Software enterprise products
- Improved integration with Google Earth Enterprise Tile Server
- Refresh and upgrades
- Updated to FME 2012 engine
- Latest AutoCAD version is now supported
- New update for the PDF Printer Driver
- WMS, WFS and CSW lists within MapInfo Pro have been refreshed
- When MapInfo Pro closes unexpectedly, it now creates a binary file called "Minidump" that can be sent to PBS
- Support of new legend designer
- Support for browser and filtering
- Support for Google Earth Enterprise Tile Server
- MapInfo Pro has 11 new fill patterns
- Mapping copyrights are dynamically updated so users will be fully compliant in using this option
Forthcoming patches: 11.5.1 and 11.5.2 coming later this year and will include new functionality:
- 11.5.1 will fix Broken Workspace Opening; Oracle External Authentication support; and further legend designer enhancements
- 11.5.2 will have WFS 1.1 support
- Users can upload a map from MapInfo Pro to the cloud based Stratus product