The GIS Web services solution performs GIS functions within an application, which enables programmers to deliver sophisticated GIS content in less time and with no GIS skills needed! What's more, due to its easy accessibility and reusability, the solution frees up city employees' time and resources.
The solution includes seven Web services. They are divided into two categories: the MapIt tool set, and Report tool set (as shown in the graphic).
The MapIT tool consists of a user interface (MapIT-UI) and four GIS Web services. The MapIT-UI is a gateway receiving calls from general Web applications and then sending parameters to, or receiving returns from, the Web services. The MapIT-UI displays a map which includes some user interaction capabilities such as zoom in, zoom out, pan, turn air photo on/off, and a user-friendly map print function. The four Web services include the following:
- Address Verification: Captures predefined parameters of street number, name, direction, suffix and community; performs some fuzzy logic validation with the parameters (e.g. alias name, also known as, street number +10 or +100); then returns a unique identifier Address_ID to MapIT-UI.
- Capital Project Verification: Captures parameters of feature class and key field, and returns a unique identifier Project_ID to MapIT-UI.
- Address Parsing and Keyword Verification: Captures a string from user inputs and parses it into either full street addresses (including street number and name) or non-addressable places (geographic entities such as parks, streets, rivers and lakes).
- Map Generation: Based on search type (address search, capital project search, key word search) and the unique identifiers that are passed from the MapIT-UI, this service generates a map that returns to MapIT-UI for display.
- Census Report: Captures boundary type (ward, planning unit, urban or rural) and boundary ID, and displays census data for the boundary area.
- Get Data by Buffer: Based on a user's defined distance, it generates a buffer against any known feature, and returns a list of data such as hotels, schools, parks and other facilities within the buffer. The format of the returned data is a .Net ADO dataset that can be easily displayed as a record. Even though it is a report service, there is still an option to return a map if it is needed.
- Address to Boundary: It returns boundary information in which the address is situated.