In the 'Information Age' of computerized everything it is easy to forget the basics of job hunting and career development. The basics include real live people!
Take some time to write a list of everyone you know in the industry. Continue your list by writing the names of everyone you know outside of the industry.
- When was the last time you had contact with everyone on this list?
- When was the last time you helped someone on this list with a professional or personal problem?
- When was the last time you just decided to 'check in' with these people to find out how they are doing?
- When was the last time you sent a note, card, or letter that was hand written?
- When was the last time you called each person on your list (emails don't count)
You never know when you are going to need your network of contacts ready and waiting to help you!
Richard D.Serby, CEO