This is the first of 3 planned columns I have about a couple of things I'm going to try with the PDAs that I have available.If you have some other ideas, let me know and maybe we can try those too.
So for starters, here is a list of the PDAs and related stuff that I currently have access to:
- An IPAQ 3670 - 64MB Ram A HP Jornada 720 -32MB internal, plus a 128MB Card
- A Handspring Visor 8MB Ram
- A Palm VII - 8MB Ram
- A NavMan GPS for the Palm VII
- A Wireless modem for the IPAQ
- A 2GB PCMIA drive for the IPAQ
- A Targus fold up keyboard for the IPAQ
- ArcPad 5.01.1 - trial version
- Cetus GPS - for the Palm
- MapPoint 2002 - 60 day trial version
- Street Finder (bundled with NavMan)
There are two applications that I want to try.Let me explain them.First, I want to try using the GPS receiver to help map some Franchise territories in areas that don't have great map files.Second, I want to put some of our store point files in the mapping software to see how easy and effective it is to look at the attributes.
Neither of these applications should be very difficult.How useful they will be for someone else to use may be something else.
Tune in next week and I tell you how far I have gotten.