After a non-release announcement earlier this month, today I got word from Skyline Software about the official announcement. SkylineGlobe.com is available. [Update 11/1/06: It’s officially announced but apparently still in beta per comments below.]
- a free API that lets users host there own tools (functions and or data) for free
- a commercial API for those who want to integrate 3D into apps or build app from scratch
- SkylineGlobe Pro will be out in two months or so and will include more data, more tools than the free version
- more data available including Europe and Japan
- local language support available
Q: How is this different from Google Earth?
A: “It’s about showcasing what other developers have built.”
Directions reviewed SkylineGlobe.com in June.