This week we examine Microsoft's announcement that the next release of SQL Server, SQL Server 2008, expected next year, will include support for spatial data. We consider that the announcement was made at Microsoft's first Business Intelligence Conference and how that may impact the product's development. We also look at how the new technology will play in a market crowded with databases, both commercial and open source that support spatial data.
SQL Server 2008 to Support Spatial Data
- Microsoft SQL Server "Katmai" Builds on Proven Success of SQL Server 2005, Empowering Customers to Manage the Data Explosion (Microsoft PR)
- Next Version of SQL Server to Include Support for Geospatial Data (All Points Blog)
- SQL Server 2008 'Katmai' to feature Spatial Support (Virtual Earth Blog)
- Microsoft SQL Server: Future Plans for Supporting Spatial Data (Directions Magazine, 2003)
- MsSqlSpatial open source project (SQL Server Spatial Open Source Project)
- Microsoft TerraServer (Microsoft Research)