USGS is in the news this week as we learned that Landsat 5 is back in business after a battery scare and the National Research Council offered some specific recommendations for the USGS' research agenda. Joe Francica and Adena Schutzberg examine these issues and their implication for remote sensing and The National Map, among other things.
Note that a follow-up article, CEGIS Response to NRC Report was published on Feb. 6.
- Landsat 5 back up (Landsat website)
- Landsat 5 experienced an issue with its onboard batteries (USGS)
- GeoEye-1 Delayed Again (All Points Blog)
- Center of Excellence for Geospatial Information Science (CEGIS) (website)
- Council recommends research agenda for National Map project (FCW)
- National Research Council Calibrates Research for The National Map (press release)
- A Research Agenda for Geographic Information Science at the United States Geological Survey (The Report)