Revenue Increases 31%
EBITDA Margin Expands by 210 Basis Points
EPS of 18 Cents up Nine-Fold Versus Year-Ago EPS of 2 cents
Company Raises 2012 Revenue Growth Outlook
LONGMONT, CO - DigitalGlobe, Inc. (
Third quarter 2012 revenue was $107.2 million, up 31% compared with the same period last year. Net income in the third quarter was $8.5 million, or $0.18 per share, compared with net income of $1.1 million, or $0.02 per share in third quarter 2011. Third quarter 2012 EBITDA was $44.9 million, delivering an EBITDA margin of 41.9%, up approximately 210 basis points year over year compared with the third quarter 2011 EBITDA margin of 39.8%. Third Quarter EBITDA margin expanded compared with the year-ago period despite incurring $7.5 million of non-recurring costs in connection with the recently announced combination with GeoEye.
"We are delighted to deliver our fourth straight quarter of double-digit revenue growth," said Jeffrey R. Tarr, President and Chief Executive Officer. "Combined with continued strong growth in our 12-month backlog, our results this quarter are evidence of our progress transforming DigitalGlobe into a high-growth, scalable, recurring revenue information business. In addition, we expect to close our combination with GeoEye late this year or in the first quarter of 2013. We look forward to delivering on the substantial benefits of this strategic transaction to our customers, shareholders and other key stakeholders."
Third Quarter Business Highlights
- Defense & Intelligence segment revenue grew 24% to $81.1 million compared with the third quarter of 2011. Performance was driven by increased revenue related to the service level agreement (SLA) portion of EnhancedView and year-over-year growth of 44% to $8.2 million from value-added services.
- Commercial segment revenue grew 57% to $26.1 million in the quarter compared with the prior-year period. Growth was broad based, driven by international civil government customers, growth from recurring-revenue contracts with location-based services customers and significant improvement within a variety of other industry-verticals.
- The company completed the final phase of its remote ground terminal expansion ahead of schedule, adding three additional Remote Ground Terminals (RGTs) in the quarter. Combined with the four RGTs added during 2011, this now enables the company to recognize substantially all of the EnhancedView SLA cash payments into revenue.
- Further diversifying the company's revenue base, it signed its sixth Direct Access (DAP) customer during the quarter to a multi-year contract that the company expects will begin generating revenue in the second half of 2013.
- The company continued to expand its business globally through a number of new, renewed or expanded agreements with international civil governments. Through its relationship with a key value-added reseller in the region, the company was awarded a contract to provide imagery in support of India's infrastructure modernization effort. The company also continued to expand its location-based services business, fostering a new, multi-year relationship with AutoNavi, a top provider of digital map content and navigation solutions, through its joint venture with China Siwei.
- Among its industry verticals customers, the company signed an agreement with SAAB to integrate its stereoscopic satellite imagery and temporal analysis data into SAAB's Vricon solution under a newly formed partnership. This agreement will enable faster creation of highly accurate, photo-realistic three-dimensional maps of specific global areas of interest, primarily for use by international governments. The company also signed an agreement to provide its Global Basemap solution to Pemex, in Mexico, under a multi-year, multi-million-dollar arrangement.
- The company's 12-month backlog increased to $366.2 million, up 20% year over year, indicative of the company's success in shifting its revenue mix to a more visible recurring model.
For the full year, the company now expects to report GAAP revenue growth of 18-21% compared with 2011, an increase from its previous expectation of approximately 16% growth. The company continues to expect to achieve a full-year EBITDA margin of approximately 46%, including the expected impact of non-recurring expenses related to its planned business combination with GeoEye. The company's 2012 capital expenditure estimate of approximately $200 million remains unchanged.
Conference Call Information
DigitalGlobe's management will host a conference call tomorrow, October 31, 2012 at 1 p.m. ET to discuss third quarter 2012 results.
The conference call dial-in numbers are as follows:
U.S./Canada dial-in: (866) 863-0053
International dial-in: (706) 758-7563
A replay of the call will be available through December 1, 2012 at the following numbers:
U.S./Canada dial-in: (855) 859-2056
International dial-in: (404) 537-3406
DigitalGlobe will also sponsor a live and archived webcast of the conference call on the Investor Relations portion of its website. Click here to directly access the live webcast.
Supplemental earnings materials are available on the company's website at www.digitalglobe.com.
DigitalGlobe is a leading global provider of commercial high-resolution earth imagery products and services. Sourced from our own advanced satellite constellation, our imagery solutions support a wide variety of uses within defense and intelligence, civil agencies, mapping and analysis, environmental monitoring, oil and gas exploration, infrastructure management, Internet portals and navigation technology. With our collection sources and comprehensive ImageLibrary (containing more than one billion square kilometers of earth imagery and imagery products) we offer a range of on- and off-line products and services designed to enable customers to easily access and integrate our imagery into their business operations and applications. For more information, visit www.digitalglobe.com.
DigitalGlobe is a registered trademark of DigitalGlobe, Inc.