Anyone who has ever created a story map, or wanted to, is invited to enter Esri's Storytelling with Maps Contest.
"Everything is fair game, including Story Maps you've already created or brand-new Story Maps," said Allen Carroll, leader of Esri's Story Maps team. "Feel free to alter or customize our Esri Story Maps apps. Entries will be judged on how effectively you make the subject matter interesting, understandable, and engaging."
Esri will provide first-, second-, and third-place prizes in these categories:
- Best Conservation, Environment, and Sustainability Story Maps
- Best Travel and Destinations Story Maps
- Best Culture, History, and Events Story Maps
- Best Science, Technology, and Health Story Maps
All entries must make use of one of Esri's Story Maps apps. Your Story Maps may be hosted anywhere, including by Esri, but the code for each entry needs to have originated with one of Esri's Story Maps apps. Contest participants may—and in fact are encouraged to—alter or customize the Story Maps app to suit their needs.
One grand prize will be awarded to the best overall Story Maps entry chosen by the contest judges. Winners will receive:
- Grand Prize/Best Overall: One (1-year) annual ArcGIS Online for Organizations subscription (five users) plus a plaque and a certificate.
- First Prize: A copy of The Smithsonian's History of America in 101 Objects and a one-year subscription to Smithsonian magazine plus a plaque and a certificate.
- Second Prize: A one-year subscription to Smithsonian magazine plus a plaque and a certificate.
- Third Prize: A one-year subscription to Smithsonian magazine plus a plaque and a certificate.
The competition closes June 2, 2014 at 5 p.m. PDT. Winners will be announced and their maps unveiled at the Esri International User Conference.
# # #
Since 1969, Esri has been giving customers around the world the power to think and plan geographically. The market leader in GIS, Esri software is used in more than 300,000 organizations worldwide including each of the 200 largest cities in the United States, most national governments, more than two-thirds of Fortune 500 companies, and more than 7,000 colleges and universities. Esri applications, running on more than one million desktops and thousands of Web and enterprise servers, provide the backbone for the world's mapping and spatial analysis. Esri is the only vendor that provides complete technical solutions for desktop, mobile, server, and Internet platforms. Visit us at www.esri.com.
Esri, the Esri globe logo, GIS by Esri, ArcGIS, www.esri.com, and @esri.com are trademarks, registered trademarks, or service marks of Esri in the United States, the European Community, or certain other jurisdictions. Other companies and products mentioned herein may be trademarks or registered trademarks of their respective trademark owners.