PHILADELPHIA, PA - Azavea, an award winning geospatial analysis (GIS) software development company, invites student GIS analysts nationwide to submit an application to be considered for its third annual Summer of Maps. Azavea Summer of Maps is a program that offers $5,000 stipends to student GIS analysts to perform pro bono geospatial data analysis projects for non-profit organizations over a three-month period in the summer of 2014. The application process opens today and students have until March 16, 11pm EDT to submit their application at: http://www.summerofmaps.com.
Summer of Maps focuses on implementing geospatial data analysis projects that will have civic and social impact. This past summer, three students from Bryn Mawr College, Haverford College and Clark University worked hand-in-hand with Azavea mentors on projects for the Delaware Valley Association for the Education of Young Children (DVAEYC), the Sunlight Foundation, the Pennsylvania Horticultural Society, the Texas Trees Foundation, the Bicycle Coalition of Greater Philadelphia, and the Greater Philadelphia Coalition Against Hunger. The results of these projects have enabled the organizations to make strong cases in favor of the causes for which they advocate or enabled them to make strategic decisions to service the communities they serve. One of these organizations, DVAEYC, used maps produced by 2013 Fellow, Lena Ferguson, to win $1 million in new funding from the Philadelphia City Council and the William Penn Foundation.
"Azavea's Summer of Maps is a no-filler fellowship. This has been the most hands-on experiential learning opportunity I've had outside the classroom. The guidance from our mentors and our level of involvement and self-direction we have with the projects gives us an unmatched opportunity for both professional and skills development," said Tyler Dahlberg, 2013 Fellow.
From June to August 2014, the winning fellows will:
- Work on a spatial analysis project that supports the social mission of two non-profit organizations
- Work with Azavea mentors to improve their GIS and project management skills
- Gain work experience implementing real-world GIS projects, including writing scopes of services, participating in client meetings, working directly with clients, presenting final analyses
- Receive a monthly stipend
The non-profit organizations will be able to:
- Receive pro bono services from a skilled student GIS analyst to geographically analyze their data
- Visualize their data in new ways
- Combine their data with other demographic and geographic data
- Receive high quality maps and visualizations that can be used to support new initiatives or make a case to prospective funders
For more information about Summer of Maps and to apply, visit: http://www.summerofmaps.com/.
About Azavea - Azavea is an award-winning geospatial data analysis and software development firm. Azavea is a certified B Corporation that applies geographic data and technology to promote the emergence of vibrant and sustainable communities while advancing the state-of-the-art through research. Each of Azavea's projects, products and pro bono engagements showcases this commitment. Find out more at http://www.azavea.com/.
If you would like more information about Azavea or to schedule an interview with Sarah Cordivano, Summer of Maps Project Manager, please contact Amy Trahey at (215) 558-6184 or e-mail email@example.com.