After review of 150,000 neighborhoods, company ranks top picks using lifestyle and behavioral analytics
July 09, 2014 - A "Top Ten" list identifying the 10 Best Neighborhoods for Generation Y has been released today, and Maponics, a leader in geospatial data, is the company behind it.
Social science research on the 80 million Americans born between 1980 and 2000 reveals that GenYs want to live in communities where they can walk and bike, have access to public transportation, and can socialize with other millennials. Using Maponics Context®, a suite of lifestyle and behavioral analytics synced with real-life geographies, the company reviewed over 150,000 neighborhoods to identify top areas where this is possible.
“On the heels of graduation season, we wanted to highlight the best locations for college graduates to settle if they’re interested in an urban lifestyle that is not dependent on driving,” said Paul Gallagher, Maponics’ Vice President of Marketing and Product Development.
To create the list, Maponics looked at the top 250 most walkable cities, and then cross-referenced those with Bikeability and Public Transit Scores within their Commuter Access Scores product. They also considered the Bars and Clubs data within their Dining & Nightlife dataset. Each category counted for 5 points, with a perfect score of 20. The neighborhoods selected all have high scores in these areas.
The chosen neighborhoods also have high populations of at least two of three PRIZM segments defined as being particularly “Gen Y”: Young Digerati (ages 25-44, tech savvy, highly educated, affluent, and ethnically mixed); Urban Achievers (ages <35, college educated, ethnically diverse, bilingual); and Bohemian Mix (ages <55, mobile, early adopters with liberal lifestyles).
See the list below for brief descriptions of Maponics' 10 Best Neighborhoods for Generation Y, or click here to read about the neighborhoods in detail.
1. East Village, New York City (score = 20): A perfect score. Appeals to PRIZM segments: Bohemian Mix, Urban Achievers.
2. SoMa, San Francisco (score = 19.2): Perfect Walkability score, very high Bikeability (4.9), and high Public Transit (4.8). Appeals to Young Digerati, Bohemian Mix.
3. Center City East, Philadelphia (score = 19.2): Perfect Walkability and Bikeability Scores, 4.7 on Public Transit. Appeals to Young Digerati, Bohemian Mix.
4. River North, Chicago (score = 19): High Bars score (4.8). Appeals to Young Digerati, Bohemian Mix.
5. Logan Circle-Shaw, Washington, DC (score = 17.8): Strong Bikeability (4.9) and Walkability (4.8). Appeals to Young Digerati, Bohemian Mix.
6. Downtown Baltimore (score = 17.7): High Walkability (4.8). Appeals to Urban Achievers, Bohemian Mix.
7. French Quarter, New Orleans: High Walkability (4.8) and Bars (4.5). Appeals to Urban Achievers, Bohemian Mix.
8. LoDo, Denver (score = 17.3): 4.7 on Walkability. Appeals to Young Digerati, Bohemian Mix.
9. Back Bay, Boston (score = 17.3): Strong Walkability (4.0). Appeals to Urban Achievers, Young Digerati, Bohemian Mix.
10. Belltown, Seattle (score = 17.3): Perfect Walkability score. Appeals to Bohemian Mix, Urban Achievers.
“This list highlights how our data makes it possible to home in on niche, targeted groups,” said Gallagher. “It illustrates the importance of location data for understanding the world around us.”
To learn more about Maponics Context, visit maponics.com, email info(at)maponics(dot)com or call (800) 762-5158.
Maponics is the market leader for comprehensive boundary databases and geospatial analytics that underpin today's location-based services and analytics. Maponics creates geographic boundaries for areas where people spend their time and money, such as neighborhood boundaries, shopping boundaries, ZIP Code boundaries and school boundaries. Customers include many of today's best-known web, social media, mobile and real estate brands, including over 70% of the top real estate websites. These brands rely on Maponics to power ultra-local interactive search, mapping, tracking and ad targeting platforms, including Trulia®, ZipRealty™, LPS, RPR™, Fannie Mae®, Estately, Citysearch®, Century 21 Canada, Yellow Book USA®, infoUSA®, Zvents®, Zillow® and many others. The company is headquartered in Vermont. To find out more, visit maponics.com or call 1-800-762-5158.