FME Release Introduces New Tools for Overcoming Data Challenges
Safe Software, the pioneering global leader in the spatial data transformation technology market, announced today the new release of its flagship product, FME 2012. This release of FME Desktop and FME Server introduces new tools for overcoming data challenges so that data can be used and shared precisely where, when and how it’s needed.
Groundbreaking Support for Popular Data Types
FME 2012 offers new capabilities in response to market needs that are unmatched by any other technology. Now supporting over 275 formats, FME 2012’s enhancements provide faster, simpler ways to transform data to use and share, and include:
- New Formats: New support for 16 new formats including: compressed point cloud LAZ format and Oracle Spatial Point Cloud; AIXM 5.1, INSPIRE, OpenGIS® CityGML 1.1, and Top50NL XML formats; Microsoft® DirectX®, and PREGASIS® OpenFlight 3D formats; Google Fusion Tables, and many more.
- Point Cloud / LiDAR Data: Ability to transform billions of points in one workflow, and enhanced abilities to extract the precise subset of a point cloud dataset that is needed.
- XML Data: New and enhanced transformation capabilities make it even easier to read, write, and prepare XML data – both the geometries and the geospatial components – without requiring knowledge of scripting languages.
- 3D Data: Enhancements include making 3D clipping z-aware, making it easier to work with 3D local coordinate systems, and enhanced surface modeling, all in response to customer requests.
"Each year the market reveals new formats, and new challenges that need to be overcome to effectively transform data for use," says Dale Lutz, Vice-President of Development at Safe Software. "We’ve responded to these market needs, and are now excited to watch the innovative ways our customers use FME to prepare their data assets for even greater uses."
New Ways to Relay Higher Value Information Immediately
FME Server's new event-driven architecture enables data that is available online or through data streams - for example, directly from sensors - to be automatically consumed, transformed, and delivered in real time to power smarter business decisions. These new capabilities make FME Server an ideal spatial CEP (complex event processing) platform.
For example, as soon as data becomes available it can automatically be evaluated against rules, and relevant information can be immediately relayed to the people, systems and services that need it via email, SMS (cell phone text messaging), Twitter, web applications, and more.
"The proliferation of data available on the web presents an exciting opportunity," says Don Murray, President of Safe Software. "By enhancing FME Server to consume and respond to this real-time data, our customers are empowered to automatically deliver the right data to the right people, right away."
Additional Key Enhancements
FME 2012 also provides a variety of enhancements to make transforming data even easier, including:
- New FME Store, which makes 3rd party components such as Custom Transformers, Custom Formats, and workspaces available for download directly within the product. Organizations can visit www.safe.com/fmestore for details.
- Expanded coordinate system support, enabling organizations to work more effectively with regional coordinate systems and point cloud datasets.
- Proven cloud support, with more cloud-ready FME infrastructure, new AMI (Amazon Machine Images) FME cloud deployment options, and support for more cloud formats than ever before.
Discover FME 2012
Organizations interested in learning more about FME 2012 are encouraged to visit: www.safe.com/fme2012.
Safe Software will also be hosting two upcoming events covering highlights of the release:
- A free webinar series covering "What’s Great in FME 2012" as well as a variety of specific topics covering highlights from the new release. Registration information is available at: www.safe.com/webinars.
- A series of free, World Tour events coming to 30+ cities and online this Spring. Registration information is available at: www.safe.com/WorldTour2012.
About Safe and FME
Safe Software is the maker of FME and the pioneering global leader in spatial data transformation technology. FME empowers users to confidently transform spatial data so it can be used and shared – where, when and how it’s needed. Available in eight languages, FME’s unmatched transformation capabilities and support for 275+ spatial and non-spatial formats enables you to quickly overcome data challenges so you can focus on your objectives. Discover why organizations and leading vendors worldwide rely on FME to quickly overcome barriers to using and sharing spatial data. Visit www.safe.com.
FME is a registered trademark of Safe Software Inc. All other product and company names herein may be trademarks or registered trademarks of their respective owners.