The FOSS4Geo Academy announces the launch of its QGIS training courses beginning in September 2014. The five courses will be offered in limited-enrollment, instructor-led online format. The courses are designed to provide concise technical skills to anyone desiring to learn the practical application of QGIS. They are based on the knowledge and skills outlined in the Dept. of Labor Geospatial Technology Competency Modem (GTCM).
Classes begin the first Monday of each month (except December) and run for four week through the last Friday of the same month. The first course begins September 1 and runs through September 26. New sections are added on demand each month. Classes are taught by experienced GIS professionals (some GISP-certified) and university faculty.
The five courses include:
1. GST 101—Introduction to Geospatial Technology Using QGIS
2. GST 102—Spatial Analysis Using QGIS
3. GST 103—Data Management and Acquisition Using QGIS
4. GST 104—Cartography Using QGIS and Inkscape
5. GST 105—Remote Sensing Using QGIS and GRASS The courses are designed to be self-contained complete with all the theory, software instruction, and sample data required to learn at home or office, at your own pace.
A complete set of step by step tutorial videos is included to demonstrate completion of the QGIS lab exercises. The cost is $25 USD per course and a continuing education course certificate is provided upon completion with a minimum grade of 85. A Workforce Certificate in Geospatial Technology (undergraduate continuing education) is available for completing the five course series at 85 or better through Del Mar College.
For more information, detailed course outlines, FAQ answers, schedule of course offerings and registration, visit our website at http://foss4geo.wordpress.com.