Our exclusive series, Communicating with Maps:
Communicating through Maps Part 1: Exploring the challenges and complexities of GIS mapping
Communicating with Maps Part 2: Discussing the issues with CaGIS President Sarah Battersby
Communicating with Maps Part 3: Considering uncertainty and error
- Brewer, Cindy. 2005. Designing Better Maps: A Guide for GIS Users. Redlands, CA: Esri Press. (2nd Edition forthcoming, November 2015).
- Brewer, Cindy. 2008. Designed Maps: A Sourcebook for GIS Users. Redlands, CA: Esri Press.
- Dodge, Martin, Rob Kitchin, and Chris Perkins. 2011. The Map Reader: Theories of Mapping Practice and Cartographic Representation. Wiley Publishers.
- Kimerling, Jon, Aileen Buckley, Philip Muehrcke, and Juliana Muehrcke. 2011. Map Use: Reading, Analysis, Interpretation, 7th Edition. Redlands, CA: Esri Press.
- Krygier, John. 2011. Making Maps: A Visual Guide to Map Design for GIS. New York, NY: The Guilford Press.
- MacEachren, Alan. 2004. How Maps Work: Representation, Visualization, and Design. New York, NY: The Guilford Press.
- Monmonier, Mark. 1996. How to Lie with Maps. University of Chicago Press, 1996. 2nd Edition.
- National Research Council. 2006. Learning to Think Spatially. Washington, DC: National Academies Press.
- Peterson, Gretchen N. 2014. GIS Cartography: A Guide to Effective Map Design, 2nd Edition. London, England: CRC Press.
- Tufte, Edward R. 1983. The Visual Display of Quantitative Information. Cheshire, CT: Graphics Press.
- Tufte, Edward R. 1990. Envisioning Information. Cheshire, CT: Graphics Press.
- Wood, Denis. 2010. Rethinking the Power of Maps. New York, NY: The Guilford Press.
Websites and Blogs
- CartoTalk, http://www.cartotalk.com/
- Cartography and Geographic Information Science (CaGIS), http://www.cartogis.org/
- ColorBrewer, http://colorbrewer2.org/
- North American Cartographic Information Society (NACIS), http://nacis.org/
- Relief Shading, http://www.reliefshading.com/index.html
- Wired Magazine’s MapLab blog, http://www.wired.com/category/science/science-blogs/maplab/
Keep up to date with the latest geospatial trends!Sign up