20 Years of Top Geospatial Content at DirectionsMag
Directions Magazine is woven into the geospatial community’s fabric, since 1998. With a loyal following, we endeavor to honor that trust with a variety of articles, webinars, and news to keep you at the top of your game, inspire you to make a difference, and encourage growth. Today we bring you a taste of the most clicked articles and webinar topics.
Our top two articles speak to the importance of foundations. Geography and how we use it to communicate are at the center of these two pieces. Even today, these are the most read articles on our site.
- “A More Realistic View of Our World,” published in 1999, by Ramona Currie explores projection. Every GIS professional can empathize with this cartographic decision.
- “Geography and Everyday Life,” published in 2000, by Reginald Golledge takes a look at geography and how spatial we are. It includes a self-assessment quiz.
The next most popular pieces speak to specific or emerging fields:
- “Ten Things You Need to Know about Indoor Positioning,” by Adena Schutzberg from 2013,
- “Finally, Affordable High-Precision GPS For Drones,” by Svetlana Emelyanova from 2016,
- “No Fly Maps Now Available to UAV Pilots,” by Bill McNeil from 2015, and
- “Retail Trade Area Analysis Using the Huff Model,” by Ela Dramowicz from 2005.
The next most popular items are related to job skills and job acquisition:
- “GIS Jobs of Today: Which GIS job skills are in highest demand?” by Diana Sinton from 2016,
- “Ten Things You Need to Know About Starting a GIS Consulting Business,” by Atanas Entchev from 2012,
- “Prepare to Get That Job: 20 Challenging GIS Interview Questions,” from 2012, and
- “Ten Things You Need to Know about GIS Certification,” by Sheila Wilson from 2012.
We encourage you to explore the many topics from our archives and recent posts to enhance your geospatial knowledgebase.
We often hear about the benefits of our webinars. One recent story speaks not only to the DirectionsMag program but also to the many opportunities across the geospatial community to educate and enhance our skills. One loyal webinar listener shared her experience with us.
“Both institutions [with which I work] recently had major certification reviews. Both review boards questioned keeping me in a teaching capacity – until I provided transcripts and proof of the number of courses, trainings, MOOCs, webinars, tutorials, activities, projects, etc., that I completed in an effort to learn more about GIS, data collection, remote sensing, and other topics relevant to the courses in our programs. They were so impressed with the list of learning options I’d provided, including several webinars from you, that they withdrew any objections to keeping me. Thank you so much for providing the quality webinars, with expert presenters and resources, that help me learn more to share with my students. I appreciate it!”
We have many vendor webinars that demonstrate how tools and services can make you more efficient. We also have many webinars to support your education or discuss prominent issues. Explore the webinar archives today. It’s clear to us that you, the geospatial professionals care about topics affecting your work. Some of our most popular topics are:
Whatever your interest, thank you for supporting DirectionsMag. We hope that you will continue to read, watch, and especially share our content with all your geospatial friends.
If you have ideas, or are interested in writing or sharing your organization’s expertise, send a note to firstname.lastname@example.org.