URISA's Vanguard Cabinet Announces the 2022 Student and Young Professional Competition
URISA’s Vanguard Cabinet is proud to host the sixth annual Digital Competition to promote the GIS profession and the attendance of students and young and emerging professionals at GIS-Pro 2022 in Boise, ID (October 2-6, 2022). The competition will be held virtually this summer, and the participants selected to present will receive a complimentary one-year URISA membership. The top three presenters will also be awarded a complimentary GIS-Pro 2022 registration and the opportunity to present their work during the conference.
This competition is an opportunity for students and YPs to showcase a project of their choice, ideally one that utilizes web and mobile platforms such as ArcGIS Online, Tableau, Mapbox, or Power BI. Projects should showcase the visualization functions of these platforms while also demonstrating knowledge and proficiency in spatial analytics, cartographic design, and/or geospatial techniques.
To enter the competition, participants should submit a link to their virtual project and include a 150 to 300-word project abstract detailing the project design, analysis, and implementation. Selected entries will deliver a 3-5 minute ignite-style live presentation via Zoom on their project’s use of an online visualization platform, geospatial technology, and spatial thinking. The presentations will be judged by a panel of URISA leaders, and based on the judges’ assessments, three presenters will be selected to present their work at GIS-Pro 2022. (The top three presenters will be awarded a full GIS-Pro 2022 registration, $500 travel stipend, and the opportunity to present their work live at GIS-Pro 2022 in Boise.)
Abstracts are due on or before June 10. Don’t miss this chance to get recognized for your work!
• Must be enrolled in a college or university, or
• Be a recent graduate (spring or summer 2022), or
• Be a young or emerging geospatial professional with fewer than five years of experience
• Must be available to attend GIS-Pro in Boise, Idaho, October 2-6, 2022
• A current resume, including
o Graduation date or expected date for college students, and
o Description of GIS-related work experience
• Link to the project website or visualizations
• Project abstract (150-300 words)
• Meet submission and selection deadlines
• Project must be from an individual (no group projects)
• Project utilizes a web or mobile geospatial visualization platform, including but not limited to ArcGIS Online, Tableau, Mapbox, or Power BI
• Participants: All presenters selected to participate in the live digital competition will receive either a one-year URISA Student membership or a one-year URISA Young Professional membership, depending on each presenter’s status. Note: Participants must present in the digital showcase to receive this award.
• Winners: The top three presenters will receive a full GIS-Pro registration, $500 travel stipend (reimbursed upon submittal of receipts), and the opportunity to present their work live at GIS-Pro 2022 in Boise.
• Abstract submissions due June 10, 2022
o Sign up and submit your abstract HERE
• Results/Invitations to participate in Digital Showcase announced during the week of June 24, 2022
• Confirmation of Digital Showcase participation and presentations by July 25, 2022
• Digital Showcase during the week of July 29, 2022
• GIS-Pro 2022 in Boise: October 2-6, 2022