GISCI Extends 2020 Map Contest Submittal Date
Des Plaines, IL (March 11, 2020)
GISP 2020- Map Contest
This year, we are once again giving contestants the opportunity to create a GISP Contest Map. You choose the content of your choice.
Who may enter: Anyone is eligible, except those who are going to judge.
Submission Time Frame: Open through March 31, 2020– Log onto the GISCI online portal to post files and the required submission form.
• 1st $250, 2nd $150, 3rd $100, People’s Choice $250 and Honorable Mentions.
• Each winner (1st, 2nd, 3rd, and People’s Choice) will also have their initial certification fee waived if the application is submitted within one year of the date the winners are announced. Current GISPs will have their renewal fees waived at their next recertification date.
• Map submittal earns / qualifies for 1 point under the Contribution to the Profession category for first-time applicants.
Map Contest Rules:
• Only one entry is allowed per person; you do not have to be a GISP to enter.
• Use of any software is allowed to create image with the exception of online map portals such as Google Maps or Bing Maps due to copyright and permission restrictions.
• Winner’s names will be published on the GISCI website.
• Winners will be required to provide a release to use their map image and to provide all files used to create the image. A check box will be added to the submission form to capture this requirement.
• All entries will need to submit metadata in a FGDC compliant format in either an html or text format. The metadata shall include what software products were used, full metadata for all data sources, and a brief description of the methodology that was used to create the map. Entries without metadata will be disqualified.
Format - PDF
Map Size – 11” x 17”
Image File Size Limit – no greater than 5mb
The Outreach Committee will determine the Top 12 and the Guest Judges will select their Best 3.
In addition the Top 12 will be open to on-line voting where the public will select the People’s Choice.
Design Criteria Elements for Judging:
Each element will be weighted the same with a maximum number of 5 points to be earned on a 1 to 5 scale
o Accuracy - grammar, punctuation, spelling
o Design/Layout - logical organization and visual flow of text and graphics
o Legibility - text font, text size, figures, tables, and graphics
o Visual Appeal - color coordination, geometry, accents, highlights, use of symbology
o Effective communication - understandable and concise
o Effective use of Geographic Information - appropriate use and portrayal of spatial data
o Originality - unique presentation
Send entries as an email attachment with contact info to firstname.lastname@example.org. Add 2020 Map Contest to the subject line.
Map Submission Form available here: