Woolpert Earns Lidar Leader Award for Outstanding Enterprise Achievement
The AEG firm was honored for helping pioneer the lidar industry in multiple capacities since the technology’s inception.
DENVER (Feb. 7, 2019) — Woolpert has received the 2019 Lidar Leader Award for Outstanding Enterprise Achievement, presented by the International Lidar Mapping Forum (ILMF) and Lidar Magazine. Woolpert was honored for its many high-level, pioneering contributions to the lidar industry in service, management and development since the technology was introduced.
The award was presented in Denver during Geo Week 2019, which hosted the three largest annual geospatial conferences in ILMF, the American Society for Photogrammetry and Remote Sensing (ASPRS) Conference, and the MAPPS Winter Conference. The award criteria cited many of the firm’s industry accomplishments, including that Woolpert:
- Acquired and processed more than 350,000 square miles of lidar data in support of the U.S. Geological Survey’s (USGS) 3D Elevation Program (3DEP), including providing data for several statewide programs;
- Acquires and processes airborne, mobile and terrestrial lidar data for multiple departments of transportation;
- Rapidly acquires and processes lidar data for federal agencies for post-storm emergency response;
- Was contracted by the USGS to evaluate Geiger mode and single photon lidar technologies for 3DEP, leading to the USGS considering these technologies viable;
- Conducted the largest commercial single photon lidar acquisition in North America in 2017; and
- Continues to develop automated tools to extract intelligent data from lidar point clouds.
Jeff Lovin, Woolpert senior vice president and director of Government Solutions, accepted the Lidar Leader Award on behalf of the firm. Lovin, who also was inducted as president-elect of ASPRS at Geo Week, thanked ILMF and Lidar Magazine for the honor.
“This honor reflects the hard work of many individuals on our team over the last 20 years,” Lovin said. “I am so proud of all of them. However, all of the successes and important milestones we have achieved in the science and application of lidar technology would have not been possible for us to achieve without opportunities created by strategic partners like USGS, JALBTCX (the Joint Airborne Lidar Bathymetry Technical Center of Expertise), NOAA (the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration), NGA (the National Geospatial-Intelligence Agency), the manufacturers, and many other key stakeholders who worked with us to move this important technology forward over the years and complete some really cool projects.”
Woolpert is the fastest growing architecture, engineering and geospatial (AEG) firm in the country, delivering value to clients in all 50 states and around the world by strategically blending innovative design and engineering excellence with leading-edge technology and geospatial applications. With a dynamic research and development department, Woolpert works with inventive business partners such as Google and Esri; operates a fleet of planes, sensors and unmanned aircraft systems (UAS); and continually pushes industry boundaries by working with advanced water technologies, asset management, building information modeling (BIM) and sustainable design. The firm, which is 95th among ENR’s Top 500 Design Firms, supports a mission to help its clients progress and become more progressive. For over 100 years and with 28 offices across the U.S., Woolpert serves federal, state and local governments; private and public companies and universities; energy and transportation departments; and the U.S. Armed Forces. For more information, visit woolpert.com or call 937-531-1258.