Have a article you'd like to submit? Please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Directions Magazine has been the nation's most respected source of geospatial technology news and commentary since it was first published in 1998. Why? Because it's the only online geospatial magazine focused on building a community of expert industry insiders, sharing tips and insights that help all of us solve the problems that we face on the job each day.
The stories you contribute should:
Engage the global geospatial community! Success stories, advice and case studies that illustrate how a specific problem was solved are always welcome, as in this example: ODOT reveals workaround for using FILESTREAM & Collector with large datasets
Inform our community with the latest news, developments in technology, topics in education or event coverage. Consider writing a news or feature article, a review of a new product/service or an editorial, as in these examples:
- Directions Exclusive: CEO Keith Kaplan discusses ‘All Things Drone’
- Want your GIS students to excel as pros? Try service learning
- Case study: Is service learning worth the effort?
Inspire our community with visions of what's possible. If something or someone is impacting our industry – or our world – we want you to share it! See these examples:
- Why mentoring matters: How Azavea and others are improving GIS education
- Google team helps users find critical geographic data during crises
Directions Magazine doesn't publish themed editions, so your stories on any geospatial topic of interest to our readers are welcome at any time! Our features newsletters are published every two weeks, beginning January 6, 2021. If your story is time sensitive, please submit it at least 6 weeks in advance of the desired publication date.
Directions Magazine will not accept articles which have been previously published in any format, except for sponsored content.
Style & Length
- Print articles must be 500-1500 words in length. Video articles must not be more than 4 minutes.
- Define the goal of the article and its benefits to the reader and his/her organization in the first two paragraphs.
- Write your story in conversational English, as one industry insider speaking to another.
- Define all acronyms on first use.
- Identify all persons quoted including their name, title and company affiliation.
- Hyperlink to your sources and related relevant content whenever possible.
- When applicable, source citations should follow APA guidelines.
- Provide graphics in GIF or JPEG format no wider than 700 pixels. Attach the graphics to your submission email. Include a caption of 15-25 words in complete sentences, cite the source of the graphics and ensure that we have permission to reproduce the graphics online.
- Include a two-line biography of the author(s) that includes the author(s)’ name(s), title(s), organization(s), and website(s)/email address(es).
Articles written by technology vendors must be informative and non-commercial to be considered as a regular featured article. Any article discussing a single product or service exclusively is likely sponsored content.
For sponsored articles and featured press releases pricing, please refer to our media kit.
Press releases should be submitted directly to our website through the Press Release Portal.
All submissions are subject to approval and editing for grammar, style and consistency. Not all submissions will be published.
Get Information on Payment, General Terms and Reprints
Still have questions? Contact us at email@example.com.
Payment, General Terms and Reprints
Directions Magazine does not pay for articles; we do however, provide you the opportunity to share your expertise with a global audience. You can learn more about our reach at directionsmedia.net.
Directions Magazine gives priority to articles that have not been previously published. We will consider reprints on a case by case basis. Please let us know if the article you are submitting is a reprint.
Directions Magazine retains copyright to the version of material which appears in any of its publications or other publication owned or managed by same. Articles which have been published by Directions Magazine may not be reprinted without express written permission from the publisher. Contact Jane Elliott for permission to reprint an article appearing in any of our publications.
Directions Magazine will allow creative commons licensing upon request, as in this example: Reflections on Foss4G.