DirectionsMag has partnered with URISA's Vanguard Cabinet to bring you a collection of podcasts and resources to enhance your professional development. This edition focuses on GISP certification, what's required and shared experiences. We are joined by a panel of geospatial professionals, including Bill Hodge, Executive Director of GISCI.
00:42 - Introductions
07:55 - What's required to get your GISP? Why bother?
15:50 - What was your experience with the exam? How did you prepare?
27:15 - What changes or benefits have you experienced since acquiring your GISP?
30:41 - How many points do you need?
34:33 - What's recertification like?
36:14 - What's the expense? Do employers help with the expense?
39:17 - How important is the GISP in hiring?
41:27 - Does software matter when getting our GISP?
45:40 - What was the most challenging part of getting your GISP?
GIS Certification Institute (GISCI) - https://www.gisci.org/
- GIS&T Body of Knowledge https://gistbok.ucgis.org/
- Practice exam and unofficial study guide: https://www.gisci.org/ExamInfo/ExamCandidateInformation/ExamPreparationInfo.aspx
- A similar but different unofficial study guide: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B6IETfQUolKuSC1SQ3BxRW54TWc
- Penn State Text: https://www.e-education.psu.edu/natureofgeoinfo/node/1672
- Most up to date information: https://www.reddit.com/r/gis/
- Vanguard Cabinet Mentor Program https://www.urisa.org/vanguardcabinet
- WiConnect: https://womeningis.wildapricot.org/WiConnect
Webinars & Articles:
UAV Webinars https://drones.directionsmag.com/
"10 Tips for Passing the FAA's Part 107 Knowledge Exam" - Wing Cheung and Sean Figg
GEOINT - https://usgif.org/certification